Halloween will undoubtedly look different this year, so Hershey is guaranteeing Halloween fun no matter how you choose to celebrate. The first-ever Hershey Halloween Squad, a cadre of industry experts, hold the keys to an inventive and fun Halloween 2020 season.
Psychologist and parenting expert Michele Borba teamed up with Hershey to share the season’s best parenting tips to keep kids engaged and family’s creativity flowing, all season long.
PLAN A HALLOWEEN MOVIE NIGHT!
Parenting Tip: Uncertainty increases stress while predictability lowers it. So, give your kids ample warning that COVID-19 will make Halloween different this year, but we can still have fun. Involve them in planning your family’s new way to safely enjoy Halloween.
What you’ll need:
- A large white, flat bedsheet
- A DVD player or streaming service on a laptop or TV, extension cord and a sturdy table
- A few rented Halloween family movies like Spooky Buddies, Goosebumps 2, Scoob!, The Addams Family, or The House with a Clock in Its Walls
- Chairs or large blankets for guests
- Ziploc sandwich bags
- Your favorite Hershey Halloween candy kept individually wrapped like:
- REESE’S Franken-Cups
- KIT KAT® Witches Brew
- HERSHEY’S KISSES Vampire Chocolates
- HERSHEY’S COOKIES ‘N’ CREME Fangs
- REESE’S Peanut Butter Pumpkins
Now, let’s get movie night set up!
- Hang a large, white flat sheet on an outside wall
- Create a makeshift outdoors drive-in theater with your a DVD player or streaming service on a laptop or TV on sturdy table
- Set chairs outdoors or put large blankets on the ground
- Fill paper sandwich bags with popcorn and individually wrapped Hershey Halloween treats and let the fun begin!
Other tricks to keep the festive spirit alive!
MAKE TRICK-OR-TREAT GHOST GIFTS!
Parenting Tip: Thinking about others’ safety can increase children’s empathy and reduce stress. Explain to your children that his year we won’t be handing out treats to trick-or-treaters so let’s find other ways to give them candy and still keep safe.
Make individual “ghosts” for trick-or-treat gifts. Place a few wrapped Hershey treats, like delicious new HERSHEY’S KISSES Vampire chocolates in the middle of a tissue. Then pick up the four ends of the tissue and wrap a piece of string around the tissue to secure the candy and form the ghost’s head and tie tightly. Decorate and hang around your house for neighbors to treat themselves!
DECORATE WITH FRIENDLY GHOSTS!
Parenting Tip: Involving your children in fun, active projects that can spur their imaginations, reduce stress and boost their excitement about Halloween — despite the changes. Just make sure to ask your kids for their ideas so it becomes their undertaking-not yours.
Make big, friendly ghosts from white twin bed sheets or garage bags. For each ghost, fold the material in quarters: half horizontally and then fold again in half vertically. Pin a large safety pin in the center of the sheet (where the folds meet) and insert a large, inflated round balloon into the sheet so it lays in the center beneath the safety pin. Tie a long piece of string or yarn beneath the balloon for the ghost’s head. Decorate and hang wherever your home needs more décor!
VIRTUAL PUMPKIN CARVING PARTY!
Parenting Tip: A proven way to increase mental being is by building connection whether online or off. Find fun ways to involve your children’s relatives and friends.
Carving pumpkins is always a fun part of Halloween. This year instead of a house party, honor social distancing by holding pumpkin carving virtually. Set a date and time and share a video link with your far away family, neighbors, or friends, then have fun watching everyone carve the cutest, funniest or scariest pumpkin. To increase the stakes, hold a contest for everyone to vote who carved the best pumpkin!